Today is St Patrick’s Day, so to celebrate the Emerald Isle why not whip up a delicious batch of green frosted cupcakes? These use matcha powder to give the delicate flavour of green tea.
Green Tea Cupcakes:
- 310 grams (2 1/2 cups) self raising flour, sifted
- 280 grams (1 1/4 cups) sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 120 mls (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons matcha (green tea) powder
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 eggs
Green Tea Buttercream Frosting:
- 170 grams (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 310 grams (2 1/2 cups) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon matcha (green tea) powder
For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/170 C/Gas Mark 4. Line a muffin pan with 24 cupcake liners.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly blended.
Whisk together the milk and oil, and add to the dry ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the matcha powder, almond extract, and eggs and beat again for 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour the batter into the pans, filling three-quarters of the way full. Bake until cakes test done, about 15 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
For the buttercream: Place the butter in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add one-third of the sugar and blend well. Add in the remaining sugar one-third at a time, blending well between each addition. Add in the milk and matcha powder and beat until light and fluffy.